Darastean Art Collection   graphic



             14 exceptional graphic works were chosen to represent Timisoara’s most touristic attractions. They capture the beautiful details of some of the oldest buildings of Timisoara and take us through the history of this magical town, formerly known as “the little Vienna”.
              This collection is printed in a limited edition and every paper case is signed by the artist.
              There is an English and French description of each location on the back side and the introduction is signed by Gheorghe Ciuhandu, the mayor of this city.

             Size: 35 x 40 cm
             Paper: camoscio 180 gr/mp
             Price: 78 Euros

Printed by Brumar Printing Office, Timisoara, 2005


The Romanian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral

       The project for this impressive building was drawn by the architect Ioan Trainescu. The construction took place between 1936 and 1940; seven years later, Romania`s King Michael came to Timisoara as founder of the Metropolitan Cathedral. Its aniversary is that of the Holy Three Hierarchs and of St. Joseph the New from Partos – Timisoara`s first Metropolitan bishop (1650-1653).
       The most distinctive feature of the Cathedral is the combination of architectural styles:the model of St. Sophia`s Church in Constantinopoles, mixed with that of the monasteries founded by Romanian ruler Stefan the Great and Holy.
       Next to the Opera House, the Cathedral remains the symbol through which Timisoara is visually identified by most people.


The Union Square Dome

       Very few people in Timisoara refer to the Roman-Catholic Dome in any other way than “The Union Square Dome”. 265 years have passed since the first stone had been set in its foundation. The edifice was finished after 38 years, in 1774. The Baroque style featured in other surrounding buildings has marked the Dome as well. It would be very difficult to emphasize a single characteristic of this church. In addition to the amazing outside shape and the works by Vienna`s master painters on its nine altars, the inside space benefits from a special acoustic quality. Therefore, the Dome attracts many organ music fans, whenever concerts are held here.


The Opera House and the National Theatre

       The „Franz Josef” Theatre was built between 1872 – 1775 according to the projects designed by the „Helmer and Fellner” Office from Vienna. The features of the building belong to the style of the Italian Renaissance. Shortly after the finalisation of the construction workings, on April 30th 1880, the theatre was almost entirely distructed by a fire outburst. In 1920, another fire destroys once more the Theatre.
        The restoration of the building starts in 1923 following the projects drawn by the architect Duiliu Marcu. The interior design is inspired by the Byzantine style, influenced by neo-Romanian features.
       The main façade, entirely modified, was raised up to 41 m, whereas the side façades were kept in neoclassical style. In 1945, the first professional Romanian theatre in Timisoara is being set-up. It is the today’s Timisoara National Theatre. In 1946 the Romanian Opera is founded, with an official opening on April 27th 1947.


Victory Square

       The present name was given by the local authorities after the anti-communist Revolution from December 1989. Until then, people refered to it as the “Opera Square”, after the name of Timisoara`s main cultural attraction – the Romanian Opera House. This is the place where tens of thousands held many political demonstrations, founded the “Free of Communism - Area”, enthusiastically calebrated the victories of Romania`s national football team or simply took a stroll on holidays. The square used to be a simple alley in 1910, but later turned into King Ferdinand’s Boulevard until 1947, then into December 30 Boulevard and, eventually, back to the old name of King Ferdinand’s Boulevard. Once the Center had expanded and had its two extremities closed by the Metropolitan Cathedral and the restored National Theatre, the area was accurately separated from other squares and parks. Later, two more monuments were added to the premises: the “Fish Fountain” and the “She-Wolf”.


The Piarist Church

       The Piarist Church and Highschool was built between 1908 – 1904, with the ministerial authorization issued on the 26th of March 1907. The building project was designed by Alexandru Baumgarten, a technical expert, whereas the detailed plans of the building were designed by the City Engineers’ Office. Both buildings were raised by the construction masters from Arnold Merbl & Co under the supervision of the architect Ladislau Szekely.


The Hunyade Castle

        In the early fourteenth century, the Hungarian King Carol Robert of Anjou sets his residence in Timisoara. Between 1307 and 1315, many Italian masters would help raise the royal castle. Almost a century and a half later, the building was to be reconstructed by Iancu de Hunedoara, in 1443-1447. Over the years, the Castle has been destroyed and rebuilt on several occasions. Its original shape remained the same, and the façade has kept its look since 1856. Until the end of the Second World War, the Castle’s function was that of hosting military barracks. Since the end of the Second World War, the impressive building became the Banat Museum.


Liberty Square and the Saint John Nepomuk Statue

        For over two centuries (1737-1949), Timisoara`s City Council worked in the building situated in the Liberty Square, known as the “Old City Hall”. It has been raised on the site of an ancient Turkish bath, following the plans drawn in 1734 by an architect called Pietro del Bonzo. Two restoration works took place in 1782 and 1935. A monument of St. Mary, carved in Vienna in 1740, stands in front of the Old City Hall, marking the end of the great plague endemic that hit Timisoara in the early eighteenth century. Originally placed in the area of today`s Continental Hotel, the statue was cut into pieces in 1752 and brought to the place where it stands today. In 1994, the local artist Ioan Oprescu restored the monument, following an initiative of the Banater Schwaben Association in Germany.
       In 1727, St. Nepomuk was declared the spiritual patron saint of the Catholics in Banat. The region`s oldest statue shows him holding a cross. Originally placed in front of the Military Casino in 1720, the edifice was to be removed in 1752 to the area next to the Eftimie Murgu Highschool. Five years later, the statue was transported next to the Decebal Bridge, then on the site of the ancient gardens (1908), today`s Thermal Pool.
       Its final location, in 1932, was the yard of the Roman-Catholic Church in the Josefin quarter, where the Youth Boulevard crosses the Constantin Brâncoveanu Street. Its author remains unknown.


The Serbian Orthodox Vicarage and the Rascian Cathedral

        In the early eighteenth century, a small wooden church functioned in the Union Square. In time, the Serbian Community from Timisoara transformed it into a beautiful Baroque-style cathedral. Built from 1745 to 1748, the church was later restored and two towers were added, in 1791. Its new name – the Serbian Orthodox Cathedral – came in 1865. Thirty-five years ago, the edifice was declared a national monument. The restoration in 2002 gave the Rascian Cathedral the look it has today.


Saint George Square

        In the Saint George Square, on the premises of today’s Bega Supermarket, the greatest Roman-Catholic church in Timisoara, established in 1323, was arising. In 1552, when the Turkish army occupied Timisoara for a long time, the chruch was transformed into a mosque called by the Turks the Great Mosque.
       After Timisoara was liberated from the Turkish occupation, the mosque is being used for two years as a food storehouse by the army. Afterwards it will become a Jesuit church. The Christian cross was raised again after many years on the tower of this church, on April 12th 1719.
       The church was reconstructed between 1745 – 1769. In 1806 it is known to be the church of the Catholic School for Ministers founded that year. The church was demolished in 1913.


The Cathedral in the Lahovary Square

        The Lahovary Square is definetely marked by the Roman-Catholic church located there. The foundation stone was set in 1912, but was dated in 1914. The church was built in pure Neogothic style by the architect Karl Salcovics. The five altars inside the church were carved by Ferdinand Stuflesser from Ortisei (Italian Tirol).


Buildings in the Josefin Quarter

        The Josefin is along with the Cetate and Fabric districts one of the main historical centres of Timisoara. Thus, the importance of the district is a very high one for the city. Since 1773 the suburb called at that time „The New Maiers” is renamed after the Emperor Joseph II. The railway station and the Bega Channel situated in the Josefin district are the main reasons for the economic development of the area. Until 1912, most of the houses there were overstaged or replaced with two-storied buildings. In 1914 the Josefin was the district with 53 stores and 63 manufacturers’ workshops, while 40 trains were daily entering the Timisoara Railway Station (the Budapest-Vienna fast train and the Orient-Express are to be mentioned here).


The Baroque Palace

        The building in the Union Square bears this name since 1754. Prior to that date, it hosted the Mining Office (1733) and the Military Financial Office (1735). Over the years, the Baroque Palace was the official residence of Banat`s Austrian governors and Timis County rulers, until 1848. From 1849 to 1860, this was the headquarter of Serbian Vojvodina and Timis-Banat government, and in 1861 the Timis County officials set their headquarters here for the second time. Between the two World Wars, the Timis-Torontal Prefect’s Office functioned in the Baroque Palace. Between 1944 and 1958, Soviet troops were stationed here. After that, it was the Agricultural Institute`s turn to have its headquarters in the building, before the Banat Museum took it over and put it under a complex process of restoration.


The Monument of the Holy Trinity

        The statue is located right in the middle of the Union Square, in accordance with the architectural style of the surrounding buildings. The foundation stone for this monument was set on November 23rd 1740 by the Counsellor of the Local Administration at that time, Johann Anton Deschau von Hannsen. The statue’s purpose was to remind of the plague endemic which had made lots of victims in Timisoara and in the entire region of Banat. The monument is made of sandstone and bears an extraordinary artistic value considering that it was carved in Vienna, following the features of the Baroque style, and was consequently shipped to Timisoara on the Danube and Tisa rivers and, eventually, on the Bega Channel.


The Synagogue in Fabric

        One of the most beautiful buildings in Timisoara is the Israeli Church in the Fabric district, built up in 1899 by an architect from Budapest, Lipot Baumhorn, in an architectural Moorish style. Unlike other historical buildings in the city, this one has kept its original purpose, that of a Israeli halidom.


  1. The Romanian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral
  2. The Union Square Dome
  3. The Opera House and the National Theatre
  4. The Victoria Square
  5. The Piarist Church
  6. The Hunyade Castle
  7. Liberty Square and the Saint John Nepomuk Statue
  8. The Serbian Orthodox Vicarage and the Rascian Cathedral
  9. Saint George Square
10. The Cathedral in the Lahovary Square
11. Buildings in the Josefin Quarter
12. The Baroque Palace
13. The Monument of the Holy Trinity
14. The Synagogue in Fabric

       "It is not easy to choose a few images that are representative for Timisoara as a whole. Much more than you find in this album is necessary to give you an idea of what Timisoara means, its beauty, its architectural and cultural richness.
       Through the pictures we have tried to catch the spirit of these places, namely the well known "spirit of Timisoara" with everything representative and particular, and not the common urban or historical pictures.
       These pictures speak about Timisoara in a way that no one has done it before. They show all the things that the regular pedestrians could see, but are not aware that they have seen. The great quality of these images is that they reveal the hidden life of Timisoara, hidden but still everywhere present.
       Only looking at these pictures you will have the opportunity to have a short stroll through Timisoara, to "live" in a special and unique city, that even if it is not colorful is still full of life: a Timisoara that belongs to Europe.
Join us in getting acquainted with Timisoara!"

Gh. Ciuhandu, Mayor of Timisoara - 2005